Welcome to Year 6!
Mr Holt and Mrs Reid
On the class page this year, you will find lots of information to keep you updated on our day-to-day, weekly and half-termly news and routines.
Please use the class page as a source of information and utilise all of the resources, activities and links on here to support your child and their learning this year.
Below, you will find links to homework activities, resources to support with reading and maths and lots of other information regarding our Year 6 routines.
The class email address will continue to be in use this year: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Learning Challenge this term has a history theme:
World War Two
Year 6 Class Newsletter
The website getepic.com is a great online library resource.
You can access books, e-books, audio books, quizzes, videos and lots more.
Please use this as much as possible at home to support your child's reading.
Logging in instructions can be found at the front of your child's homework book. The class code is below.
The terms and conditions of GETEPIC have changed since June. There are now 2 options to explore the website:
- During school with Epic School: From 7am to 4pm, students can log in from anywhere using their class code and read for as long as they want between 7am to 4pm. Educators can access Epic School at any time or day. Epic School is always free for our educators.
- After school with Epic Free: In addition to all the reading time that they get with Epic School, students can also read after-school or after 4pm for free on Epic Free. Epic Free is also available for students to access at any time on the weekends. But unlike Epic School, there is a time duration limit! Students can read on Epic Free for up to 2 hours per week. Also, students will need their parents’ help to unlock Epic Free with a parent email. Parents only need to provide their email address once during sign-up. There is no fee for for Epic Free. After the first log in, students can freely access Epic Free using the class code. They will transition between Epic School and Epic Free, depending on the time of day.
Unfortunately, this change in terms means that some books are not accessible on the Epic Free version. I will amend the assignments so that children still have acess to some assigned books after 4pm. Apologies for this confusion - this is a very recent change on GETEPIC!
Please click on the link below for in depth instructions on how to sign up for EPIC FREE.
Our Class Novels at the moment are ...
w/c: 15th September
Year 6 Class Timetable
To ensure we are not crossing class bubbles and so books can be cleaned, reading books will be changed once a week, on a Friday.
Your child can take more than one book and can still read books from home. Books must be brought to school everyday in a plastic wallet (which will be provided by the school).
Report inappropriate use here
Our English writing will be based on our World War Two topic.
We will be writing;
- narrative - a night during The Blitz
- letters - writing from the perspective of an evacuee
- newspaper report
- Personification of war poetry
- non-chronological report
Due to the incredible success of the stunning pieces of work created last year, we will be continuing with the project approach to our homework. Your child will receive a new homework project grid every half term. Inside the cover of your child’s homework book, there will be a grid of 10 home learning activities/projects that are linked to our first class text – Goodnight Mr Tom written by Michelle Magorian – and our theme of WW2. These activities are extremely varied and link to many areas of the curriculum.
Over the first half term, we request that your child attempts to complete at least 6 of the tasks (the choice of tasks is theirs entirely or you may wish to direct your child as you wish, depending on the time and resources that you have available). Your child can record their learning journey for this project in many ways – photographs, jottings, drawings, collage – we encourage them to be as creative as they wish. This is an opportunity for them to show off their strengths!
We ask that you return the learning journey and any other accompanying work to school on Friday 15th October so that we can celebrate our first half term learning with a class exhibition. There will be resources on our class page on the website that may support your child and give them further structure or inspiration to undertake these challenges. We cannot wait to see the results of your home-learning journey!
In addition, we are running Bingo Books this year – details of this can be found on the inside cover of your child’s homework book. If you have any questions or would like to send any pictures of your child’s work, please email email@example.com.
Homework links and resources
25 books to read before you leave Vine Tree